Humboldt Park became a part of Chicago in 1869. The creation of Humboldt and several other west side parks was originally envisioned to provide a beautiful scenic escape from the congested city life. Originally marsh land, Humboldt Park became “the crown jewel” of the Park District.
Housing the offices of famed landscape Architect Jens Jenson, considered by many to be the father of modern landscape architecture, Humboldt Park was at the center of the famed Boulevard system. After the Great Chicago Fire, settlement and development grew this prairie marsh into two-flats, bungalows, and small apartment buildings.